Friday 5 June 2015

Hobby related cakes for men

Does your Dad, Husband or Grandfather have a hobby? A lot of men are of course into football (soccer) so it makes a perfect cake when turning it into a ball or using the colours of the team they support. There are of course many other hobbies which seem to get forgotten about when you think of men. My son and husband are not huge fans of football but have many other interests. This opens up the realm of ideas for cakes, far beyond the usual football. Here are some ideas to either copy or inspire you when thinking of your next male cake!

So this first one isn't strictly hobby related but plays into the interests theme!

I simply swirled the cupcakes with a bright blue icing, then cut circles of white and black fondant which I placed on top of some of the cupcakes. The interests here surrounded the recipients work and likes. I used an edible food writer for the messages in the middle. I let the fondant dry up a little before writing on them. I also didn't place them on the cupcakes until I had done this. The Audi logo cakes where made using 2 different sized tips. I turned them over and simply used them as mini cutters. I painted the fondant with edible silver paint and left them to dry before placing on top, attaching them with a little edible glue. I followed two tutorials for the coffee cups and ties. You can find them here and here. The Android cakes I copied from a picture I found of the Android logo. I rolled and cut shapes to fit the robot. The laptops were inspired by some cakes I saw online. I cut two rectangles of black fondant, stuck them together and left them to dry off a little. I had to prop them up so that they wouldn't fall over. I then took two smaller white pieces and attached these. I wrote on the 'screens' before I attached them. I indented the other piece with a knife to represent the keys. A small white piece of fondant was painted with gold edible paint and placed on the front to represent the catch.


Is DIY classed as a hobby?  I guess it depends what you are making!  I took this idea from a Wilton yearbook. You can find the tutorial on their website here.

Are they an armchair hobbiest? Do they enjoy watching lots of different sports? This is perfect for anyone who enjoys a wide range of sports, or who indeed plays them! I again found inspiration from Wilton for this cake in their fondant book.  You can find a similar version on their sister site Bake Decorate Celebrate here. You can purchase the Wilton book on Amazon.co.uk.


Perhaps they like to do a little fishing? This cake was made using an old Wilton pan called Handsome man! You could easily trace a fisherman on a large sheet or rectangle cake. There is a lot of inspiration for fishing cakes out there, so you could follow this theme over a few occasions! There are sadly no instructions for this on the Wilton website. It is fairly straightforward to copy though.


Over in the UK, bowls is a big past time, especially with older people. My Dad has loved bowls since his early 30's so naturally I had to make him a bowl themed cake. I searched for pictures of bowls cakes and at the time they were pretty limited. I did find a figure preparing to bowl and that's where I got the idea for this one. I covered the cake in green fondant to represent the green. I made bowls out of black fondant balls with small yellow hoops. I also made a small white ball. The words were shaped from black fondant. The figure was extremely tricky. I didn't have any tutorial to follow, and if I had, I think it would have turned out better. For some great figure tutorials, head over to my Pinterest board Cake and Cookie tutorials. They would have helped me greatly if I had had access to them at the time!

From leisurely pursuits, to more high octane fare! The recipient is very much into motorbikes and this manufacturer in particular. I found a number of cakes I liked, but settled on this one as inspiration. I shaped the cake from a large rectangle but believe it could be achieved using a heart shaped pan. I made the key, tags and letters first, leaving them to dry before placing on the cake. I printed out the letters and used them as a template to cut from so that they looked like the actual logo. I used grey and white fondant that I painted with edible silver paint.  I buttercreamed the cake and covered the sides in black fondant, with the top in red. The grey fondant band covered the join between the two colours. I marked out a checkered patterned on the black fondant and used a ruler to indent it. Once the grey bands were on, I painted them with edible silver paint.

Cycling has become big news these past few years, so more and more designs have sprung up, so plenty of inspiration for the cake decorator! This was my first try with gum paste. I knew fondant would not work for the bike. I followed a picture rather than a tutorial and I painted the bike with watered down paste colour rather than colouring the gum paste. I'm not sure if I would do this again as the paint didn't really want to stick. The spokes were made with painted bits of dry spaghetti. I made fondant 'rocks' and pressed out flowers which I arranged on top of a simply iced cake. I then used the Wilton multi opening tip to pipe 'grass' around the rocks. I laid the bike on some rocks as if someone had left it there. A sign was made using card and lolly sticks.

This bike cake was made to look like the recipients gear. A large cake board was iced with swirls of brown and green icing to look like mud. I made a few grey rocks to place around. The t-shirt was made using the Wilton T-shirt pan which is sadly discontinued, but again this could be cut from a large rectangle cake. I copied the t-shirt and used fondant to make the design. The helmet was made using an oval shaped pan. I covered the shape in black fondant, then made large white sausage shapes to place over the black fondant. I used watered down paste colours to achieve the look of the helmet.


You could make a cake that represents all their interests!

I simply iced the cake in white fondant so that all the little details would pop.  The recipient used to be in the air force so naturally a plane had to feature! I found a fondant plane which I copied, leaving it to dry. The wings were propped up with cardboard tubes so that they would not droop. The scarf was made in the colours of their favourite football team and the cards were made using edible food writers. I followed the same method as before for making the bowls balls and coffee cup. This is a great design if you want to incorporate all their interests.

Have a great weekend!








No comments:

Post a Comment