Thursday 25 June 2015

Arm knitted chunky blanket

So I've mentioned my master bedroom makeover a few times. We are finally back in the bedroom but it's still not quite finished! Yes we have all the furniture, new floor and blinds, but all the little details have yet to be put in place or purchased! At the moment the walls look a little bare but we shall get there eventually!

One of the things I had made in readiness for the makeover was an arm knitted blanket. I made infinity scarves at Christmas so decided to go for a bigger project! I can't knit and I am slowly learning to crochet so this gives me instant and satisfying results!

I couldn't get on with watching a video of how to knit but found a step by step photo tutorial which was perfect.  I've already shared the tutorial from Flax and Twine but here it is again!

I couldn't get the super chunky wool that she uses in her tutorial so decided to devise my own version of chunky!


I made one long runner style blanket first off using this wool.


This wool is classed as chunky but it's not chunky enough for the look I was going for.


It looks pretty chunky close up.


But when it was laid out, it just didn't have the chunky look.

I decided to make another blanket exactly the same dimensions.


Well that was the plan!! I didn't eyeball it correctly and ended up with a smaller piece! I needed to make an additional one so quickly whipped up a smaller piece. I then laid all the pieces on top of one another and started to attach together using the method described in the tutorial. I did this round all 4 sides.


This meant that I ended up with a super chunky runner for my bed! I used 8 balls of wall to complete my small blanket.

Now it looks pretty chunky. It does not have a super neat finish but I'm OK with that!




  
I love how it looks in the bedroom and how well it goes with all my new stuff!

Have you made an arm knitted item? Do you like the look? Share on Facebook.

Have a great weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment