Monday 23 March 2015

Easy Easter Bunting

Do you decorate your home for Easter? I think it's less done here in the UK, but you do see bunting, window clings, fake eggs etc in the shops. 

My kitchen has my Spring flower bunting and looks suitably festive for the upcoming holiday. I love bunting, there is something so sweet and quaint about it. It seems to be totally girlie and has endless possibilities when using it to decorate with.

A few years ago I decided to make some Easter bunting. I am hopeless at sewing so came up with the idea of using card as well as fabric to make some. I gathered together fabric scraps that I had to hand in suitable Easter colours along with coordinating card. The fabric consisted of felt and fat quarters. I had lots of Easter themed stickers and some left over brown fabric from another crafting session.

You can use pretty much anything to make this bunting. I had scrapbook and card making stickers, fake flowers, rabbit shapes cut from patterned paper, jute string, curling ribbon and fibres.

I began by finding a suitable font I could use for the letters which were to appear on the bunting. I chose a simple font, enlarged the letters and printed them out. I then cut out each letter and traced it onto the brown fabric. I carefully cut out the letters ready to stick onto the bunting.

You could use a much fancier font if you like, but I found the easier the shape, the easier to cut out!

I then drew a triangle onto a piece of card and used this as my template. I traced around this shape on a variety of fabrics and cards and cut them out. I then glued the letters onto the triangles. You can use regular adhesive or fabric glue.

Next came the fun part! Decorating!  I decided I wanted a bit of decoration at each point of the triangles. As some were stickers, I didn't need any additional glue. For non stickers I again glued these with regular adhesive or fabric glue.

When that was all dry I glued jute string to the back of each triangle across the top. I eyeballed the spacing needed between each letter before gluing in place. I left lots on either side to enable the bunting to be strung up. I did 2 lots for each word, rather than one long piece.

All done and super easy! Children will love to decorate the triangles.

Later this week I will be sharing my home made wreath, and the wrong ways to go about it! Thankfully it is all good in the end!

Have a great week!










No comments:

Post a Comment