Wednesday 17 December 2014

THE CHRISTMAS TABLE AND BAUBLE MAKEOVER

If you are like me you are probably getting the last few jobs done before all the Christmas food prep begins! I have fudge, cookies, cake and pie to make before the big day so this will be the last before Christmas post.

When I was decorating my tree I pulled out these old baubles of mine that are meant to look frost covered. Over the years, the coating has begun to come off and show the black colour underneath. I decided they were no longer tree worthy but hated to throw them away, so what else could I do? Make them over of course!!

Here they are pre make over!


They are a mixture of light and dark gold and as you can see those colours are wearing thin!


Nasty chip in that one!

I didn't think trying to take the coating off would be very successful so I decided just to paint over them with bolder colours! I liked the idea of using them in the kitchen as ceiling decorations after a few pins I've seen. My kitchen is painted a warm yellow, and my dinner service is primarily blue, so I took half and painted blue and the other half gold. I just used paints I already owned.

Even after painting them, you can still see a hint of the black underneath.


Plus the paint gave them an almost caviar effect, like you can have on your nails. This was not the look I was going for and they certainly did not feel Christmasy! Luckily I have gold and blue glitter paint which I liberally painted all over the baubles.


Up close, you can still see some of the black but it's hardly noticeable now they are suspended from my ceiling!


I love the blue in particular. It's not traditional at all but feels really festive!


I took the original ties off and added different lengths of ribbon so that when they are suspended on the ceiling they create an interesting effect. I chose to hang them directly over my table so no one is hitting their head on them!


They are suspended by making a small loop in the ribbon and then using push pins.




This complements my Christmas table very well. I have a blue fabric runner and place mats, so rather than purchase anything else I incorporated them into a theme with gold and glitter!

I did purchase these adorable blue glitter reindeer though!


They just go so well!


A blue Christmas!


Standing proudly at either end of the table.


I took some blue baubles, added ribbon and attached to the back of the chairs. I didn't want huge ribbons, mainly as it would be too much temptation for the cats!




They tie the theme together.

I bought some cheap gold chargers, gold napkins, blue and gold confetti stars and tiny gold baubles to be used as place cards.


I'd seen rosemary being used as place name wreaths but here I have used a small sprig of thyme which has been attached to the bauble. I took simple kraft tags and wrote the names on them. 


I love my new chargers!


I have added light blue candles that I already owned along with my fun and festive salt and pepper shakers. For Christmas day I will be adding the gingerbread house that my family will make on Christmas Eve. It is one of our traditions!





The candles may have to give up their spot on the table!

I hope you enjoyed a look at my table and that you have been inspired for your own celebrations!
Merry Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment