Thursday 2 April 2015

Childhood memories - Rich Easter Flake Nest Cake

Easter Sunday was always a fairly big deal to me. My Mum would hide an assortment of goodies around the lower part of the house for me to find, then my Grandparents would come over and we would have a lovely roast dinner. Dessert was the highlight though! For many years Mum made this very rich chocolate cake, which was covered in chocolate buttercream and decorated with Cadbury's flakes and mini eggs. I could not wait to eat a piece! I always wanted more, but it was so rich, I could never manage a second. Well at least not right away!

A few years ago, Mum gave me the original recipe as she was unlikely to make it again. I made it for my family and it was an instant hit! It didn't taste exactly as I remembered, but it was still rich and chocolaty! Plus it brought back all those fond memories of my Mum baking in the kitchen.

Easter has a little less meaning for me now. Pretty much every year my husband celebrates his birthday so we focus on that over everything else. It also marks the time that my Mum passed away. She passed down many things to me, one was her love of baking. When I was a child, I would always come home to find she had made some sort of treat. I absolutely loved the home made goodies. I am so glad that I followed in her footsteps and enjoy making good things to eat for my family.

So today I am sharing the recipe. Mum used to get the magazine, Family Circle, when I was a child. Many things were made from it, from birthday party treats, costumes for school, to this cake! This recipe appeared on the back of the front cover from April 1981. It was well loved and I hope that perhaps it becomes a tradition in your house too!

The original recipe, a bit torn at the sides!


EASTER FLAKE CAKE

Ingredients
(The original recipe used a 7 inch ring mould, well greased)

100g soft margarine or butter
100g caster or soft brown sugar
2 eggs
100g self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
25g cocoa powder

A recipe for the buttercream icing is not included in the original publication, so use whichever chocolate frosting recipe is your favourite.

To decorate

4 regular sized Cadbury's Flakes (you might want a couple extra just in case, or to eat while you're baking!)
100g Cadbury's Mini Eggs

Method

Beat margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together for a good 2 minutes until thoroughly mixed. Turn mixture into tin and level surface. Bake in the oven (Gas mark 5, 190'C, 375'F) for about 30 minutes. Check cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, the cake is baked. Cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, cover the cake in the chocolate frosting. Break up the Flakes and press pieces into the icing, sprinkling any crumbs over the top. Fill the centre of the cake with Mini Eggs.

There you have it!! I hope you enjoy.

Have a wonderful Easter. I will be away for most of next week so there may not be any posts until the following week.

Enjoy the holidays!




No comments:

Post a Comment